Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure all work is carried out as per the contract and client’s specification.
- Manage the preparation, presentation and service of all meals in a professional manner, providing delicious and well-presented meals within budgetary constraints and maintaining quality and standard as per the specification of services and objectives given by the management.
- Demonstrate excellence in all areas of preparation, presentation and service.
- Liaise with superior to discuss day to day operational requirements, achievements and improvements and take necessary action accordingly.
- Assist Location Manager for adequate staff coverage by preparing and assigning duties and working hours to those under his supervision. Ensure compliance with the work schedule.
- Give directions and instructions to Cooks, Assistant Cooks and Kitchen Helpers.
- Develop recipes and prepare menus in consultation with Location Manager considering contract, client’s feed back and cost requirements.
- Prepare daily requisition for the next day kitchen supplies considering forecasted man-days, menu, stock in balance in the kitchen and available items in stores. Forward requisition for Catering Manager’s approval, before issues are made by storekeeper.
- Control incoming supplies from stores for quality, quantity, damage and spoilage.
- Oversee proper handling, packaging and storage of food stuffs in and ensure the stock rotation procedures are maintained.
- Ensure that the food is prepared as per the planned menu and in line with instructions/feedback received from Location Manager.
- Control and supervise preparation of meals under approved methods and conditions (this includes taste, appearance and general acceptability to ensure a high level of customer satisfaction).
- Ensure smooth and timely supply of prepared/cooked food to all concerned units.
- Strictly control wastage and ensure compliance with cost control measures and techniques without compromising with quality.
- Supervise periodic inventories.
- Execute additional/special menus/orders agreed between the management and client.
- Prepare ‘a la carte’ orders if required contractually or approved by the management.
- Oversee the service line from setup till the end of service.
- Ensure that all kitchen tools and equipments are in working order and inform the malfunctioning to the concerned immediately.
- Facilitate menu costing.
- Directly supervise the entire kitchen staff to ensure compliance with company’s directives and procedures and ensure high level of employee motivation.
- Identify staff training needs and initiate training process in coordination with superiors. Monitor and supervise on-the-job training process as per training guidelines and procedures. Ensure to maintain up to date records of on-the-job training.
- Provide continuous learning and training to kitchen staff on various aspects of kitchen management.
- Perform any other task assigned by his superior within the scope of the job.
- Innovate and develop the recipes and introduce new dishes and cooking techniques to the work environment.
- Develop and maintain good working relationship with client through regular contacts.
- Handle every complaint/suggestion from clients with positive attitude, sincerity and promptness. Discuss all complaints/suggestions with superior for remedial action.
- Ensure that employees under his control are fully aware of their duties and responsibilities and have received company and client’s induction and that this is documented.
- Conduct regular meetings with staff to share mutual concerns, work practices, improvement plans and to communicate company’s policies, standards, objectives and other helpful information.
- Lead and motivate co-staff by creating healthy work environment.
- Maintain a professional and pleasant working relation with all his superiors and peers at all times.
- Ensure all work is carried out in compliance with the Quality, Health, Safety and Environment management system.
- Ensure that all accidents, fire, loss, theft and damages are reported to superiors immediately and proper procedures are followed. In addition, where appropriate, take remedial action.
- Adhere to the QHSE rules and regulations of client.
- Use correct PPE and maintain them in good condition.
- Ensure proper usage and maintenance of all equipment’s.
- Conduct daily inspections of all areas ensuring compliance maintenance of hygiene standards.
- Arrange necessary QHSE training for staff in conjunction with the QHSE Manager on the hazards related to his job.
- Ensure that all the employees under his control are medically fit and a copy of their valid food handling certificate is available on site at all times.
- Ensure that all employees under his control maintain the highest possible standard of personal hygiene.
- Ensure that periodic pest control is done taking all necessary precautions to prevent food contamination.
- Should have knowledge of HACCP, ISO and accreditation standards.
- Monitor food cost and quality to ensure they meet the objectives and targets set by the manager.
- Ensure that procedures, instructions, and policies given by the management are clearly understood and implemented and monitored in the area of responsibility.
Skills and Requirements:
- Proficient use of MS applications
- Ability to manage a team
- Costing of recipes
- Analytical and quick decision making
- Creativity and Innovation
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Available to work on call, shifts, after hours, over weekends and on public holidays
- Excellent knowledge of BOH systems, ordering and inventory.
- Keep up with cooking trends and best practices
- Ability to spot and resolve problems efficiently
- Excellent record of kitchen management
- A strong background in HACCP , ISO standards.
- Ability to produce high volume of work in a timely manner, which is accurate, complete, and of high quality
Certifications: Preferred Certified Executive Chef (CEC)
Languages: Fluency in English and Arabic
- Job Location
- Company Industry
- Catering, Food Service, & Restaurant
- Company Type
- Employer (Private Sector)
- Job Role
- Hospitality and Tourism
- Employment Type
- Monthly Salary Range
- Number of Vacancies
- Career Level
- Mid Career
- Years of Experience
- Min: 10
- Residence Location
- Bachelor’s degree / higher diploma
Culinary Arts or similar related field